The Tungsten Ring Story: The reality of tungsten carbide rings in today’s fashion
Just when we thought, jewelry design has reached its hallmark in this era; Tungsten rings boomed into mainstream fashion. Why do you think the craze about tungsten rings is indomitable? Our research shows, it is partial because Tungsten has not been used for delicate and intricate designs this far and partially because the rings can be worn by both men and women. While diamond and emerald rings were the forte of the fairer sex, these statement tungsten rings can complete anyone’s wardrobe.
What is the tungsten craze all about?
Tungsten is the new titanium of the men’s jewelry world. Tungsten is a metal that signifies strength and commitment. It is no wonder that it has become ubiquitous to contemporary men’s jewelry and fashion. It is tough, scratch-resistant and heavyweight. This only means, the new-age metal rings personify every quality related to people throughout literature and history.
These tungsten rings are most commonly gunmetal gray in their natural forms. Tungsten carbide is non-reactive, and the rings do not change color even with continuous exposure. New variations of the well-known gunmetal gray include tungsten black and white tungsten. The latter has a distinct silver sheen that is unique and substantial. It looks like white gold and platinum; however, the price is extremely pocket-friendly.
Why is tungsten replacing gold and platinum from mainstream jewelry?
In jewelry, when we say tungsten, we are referring to tungsten carbide. It is one of the strongest metal alloys used to make jewelry. Jewelry cannot use pure tungsten since it is a very soft metal. Like gold, the jewelers make an alloy with tungsten, carbon, cobalt or nickel to make tungsten carbide.
The tungsten carbide rings have an own resistance to wear and tear. It is a unique property that other metals including gold and silver do not possess. They are heavy, easily manipulated and extremely easy to maintain. You can wear them regularly, yet preserve the “just purchased” sheen for ages. They require petite maintenance and refurbishing.
The only disadvantage may be their lack of resizing abilities. However, they are extremely pocket-friendly so that you can replace them. Although it is not easy to break tungsten carbide, we have seen instances where tungsten rings have cracked due to high pressure. You can end up breaking a robust tungsten ring by striking it hard against a sturdy surface or by dropping it on a hard floor.
What are the advantages of opting for a tungsten ring?
The chief advantage of opting for tungsten over white gold and platinum is the cost-effectiveness. Besides this obvious advantage of opting for tungsten rings, there are a few more that you can find on this list –
- Tungsten rings can be easily customizable. You can present tungsten rings to your fashion-savvy friend with a taste for eclectic jewelry. They are perfect for anniversaries and weddings You can tell your jeweler to engrave your rings with quotes, names, and other texts to add the personal touch to your gift.
- The carbon fiber tungsten rings usually come in a mélange of colors and styles. In you want a sheer contrast and visibility; you should go for the black carbon fiber inlays. This adds scratch resistance and cracks tolerance to your regular tungsten ring.
- The carbon fiber inlays are an essential addition to your regular tungsten rings if you want to add more textures, designs, and colors. From shiny white to metallic blues, you can add glossy sheens to your rings without compromising its integrity.
- These rings are both cumbersome and intricate. Tungsten rings are perfect for both men and women. They are unisex pieces of jewelry that are ideal for everyday wear.
- Tungsten carbide rings have an IP coating. This adds extra durability to the rings. It is quite thick, and that makes sure that the metal will not lose its shape or sheen over the next couple of years at least.
- Black tungsten carbide is almost as high as diamond. Interestingly enough, jewelers polish tungsten carbide like the precious stone. This means, your black tungsten ring will be breathtakingly attractive and at the same time, durable.
- Although they are not expensive, they are a sound investment. This is primarily because they require less to no maintenance; they are durable and resistant to all kinds of wear and tear. Even body oils, water, and detergent cannot get to the integrity of tungsten carbide.
Busting the biggest myth about tungsten rings –
We have heard people say, “Tungsten is indestructible. You cannot remove tungsten rings in cases of emergencies”. Well, we would like you to think for a moment here. Nothing is truly indestructible. Even diamond can be cut and broken. So why should tungsten by completely tolerant to shear force?
Tungsten carbide may be stronger than most of the metals used for making jewelry. However, you can easily cut it with the right tools in case of an emergency. You can go to the jeweler who sold you the ring or reach out to us for help. In reality, using a pair of vice grip pliers is enough to break the ring(s). You just need to be careful to not nick yourself/others in the process.
Is tungsten carbide hypoallergenic?
Tungsten carbide does not cause any allergic reactions. However, the final mix contains a small amount of nickel and cobalt. These metals can elicit an immune reaction on your skin. If you are currently using a cobalt binder, you may notice your skin turning green around the ring. There is nothing to be alarmed about.
We use a subtle quantity of nickel in the final fixture. Our customers do not face any allergy problems while using our handcrafted tungsten carbide rings.
To know more about the recent trends in tungsten carbide jewelry and the latest styles in tungsten rings visit https://www.tungstenrings.com/. This company has been providing the latest styles and exclusive designs of tungsten rings since 2003.